I recently dipped my toe into the vlogging world and I must admit I really like it! My teenage kids have been telling me for ages to get myself on to YouTube, but I’d been hesitant until now.
My first ever to-camera vlog was after Aby had tagged me in the ‘Vogue’s 73 questions’ which was the perfect opportunity to vlog my answers. I received so many encouraging comments afterwards and enjoyed the response the video got, it made me want to do more.
Aby then started off the ‘Would You Rather’ tag and so many people joined in we came up with the idea of ‘Vlog Stars’ a linky where Aby and I set a theme each month, making it easier for everyone to get their vlog on!
With that in mind, here are my top tips at filming a vlog and staying relaxed once the camera is rolling…
- Have an idea of what you’re going to say, but don’t over plan. You will come across much more natural if you’re not trying to stick to an internal script.
- Pretend that you’re speaking to a friend rather than just a camera, this will ensure you stay animated and keep your viewer interested.
- Remember you can edit out all the ‘Umms’ and ‘Errs’ but try to pause before you start off a new point so that you can easily edit sections of your vlog together.
- Film in daylight where possible and facing a window or light source-not with it behind you, trust me it is much more flattering.
- Add some branding to your vlogs during the editing process, even if it’s just your blog/youtube channel name as text at the beginning and end, that way all your viewers will be able to find you easily.
- Add links to your blog and social channels in the description box.
- Get to grips with using YouTube cards and annotations-if I can figure this out anyone can and it is a great way of promoting other videos you’ve made.
- Join in a tag or link up with Vlog Stars and our monthly theme to give yourself a good excuse to get your vlog on!
- Deep breath, relax and enjoy it!
So, that’s a few tips from me today I hope they were helpful. Aby and I really hope to see lots of you joining in with this month’s theme ‘A few of my favourite things’, which will go live on 11th June. You can find the rules and the questions here.
Bye for now, Amy – Mr and Mrs T Plus Three